Thursday, March 14, 2013

Getting started.

So many God-things happened over the next several weeks as we navigated the craziness of getting Little Handsome a comprehensive evaluation (evaluated by a psychologist, speech therapist and occupational therapist. The very hardest part of it all for me - and still is - is that I constantly felt like I didn't know crap about what I was doing. The learning curve is ridiculous. When your kid needs tubes, there's a specific series of steps that has to happen. Your pediatrician's office usually will set this all up for you. Boom, boom, boom, you've got tubes.
That's so not the case for autism. As a mom, I've just felt completely inadequate. The only way I've made it through (and yes, there's been some ugly crying, etc) is because Jesus is my Savior, my Help. God knows exactly how Little Handsome's mind works. And He loves every part of him. Father God loves Little Handsome more than I can. That's a hard truth sometimes and sometimes it's a relieving truth.
There were 5 places that our pediatrician and our Speech Therapist suggested we call and get an eval from. They did not recommend any one over another. They were both very diplomatic about all of them - which was no help to me! But, I see this now, that I had no choice but to dive in and lean on Him. This was to be the first of many plainly visible examples where God was moving.
I randomly called 3 places and got into one of them pretty quickly. We'll call it MP. They had a cancellation and were able to see us the next week.
One of the other places I called said it would be months - months!? The other did not do comprehensive evals. What's awesome about a comprehensive eval is that team is able to get a very accurate picture of your kiddo by doing everything in the same place. Also, it's easier on the family because you're not carting everyone around to multiple places.
I had zippo knowledge of MP other than I thought it looked cool from their website. I know, I am totally awesome.
Then we found out we knew someone on the board. Then we found out we knew another person on the board. People from out of town were telling us that MP was the best place to go in our state. Every time we even mentioned MP, the automatic response was, "oh that's the best place to go ." It got to where Sweetheart and I would just laugh because we heard it so much. Even Little Handsome's preschool teacher said it was the best place. Exact same words from everyone.
We had no prior knowledge of MP. We had never even heard of it before.
The verse that The Lord was speaking to my heart at the time: "The Lord is the One who will go before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8 HCSB


No comments:

Post a Comment